A Day of Love


Mass media, as well as most retailers have labeled Valentine’s Day as a “lovers holiday.” As women, we are expected to feel inadequate and sad when for some reason, we do not have a love interest in our lives on Valentine’s Day. Men, on the other hand, feel added pressure to find creative or expensive ways to show the special woman in their lives how much they actually care, often resulting in bitterness around the entire day. For all purposes, Valentine’s Day has become somewhat of a “Hallmark” holiday, creating anxiety while generating billions of dollars in sales.
My post is simply offering a new way to look at Valentine’s Day. As I’ve gotten older and more mature, I’ve come to see the holiday as another opportunity to remind those who mean so much to me that I love them. And of course, we should say it and show it everyday but sometimes that’s not as easy as it sounds or for some reason, it may get lost in translation. So, on Valentine’s Day, I like to take the time out to remind my friends and family that I care. And even though they already know it, I like to think that when they get my card in the mail or eGreeting online, a smile crosses their faces and they are reminded that they are loved. I know that’s how I feel when I get cards from my parents and friends on Feb. 14. And though I would love to have found “my special perfect one,” and be spending the day with him, I remember that it’s ok because I’m loved everyday by so many people. And to me…there’s nothing better than that.
Happy Valentine’s Day! Remind someone how much you love them!

XoXo,
Charmed