BOYCOTT!!! Do NOT Cross Picket Line.

Remember those nights (when you were younger) that you fell asleep on the phone talking to the person you were dating at the time? Remember when you couldn't wait for said person to call you on the phone so that you could hear their voice? Remember how you felt the moment their number would show up on your caller id? It was something about hearing a person's voice that made you feel closer to them. Well, you can't feel that way these days....fonts don't have a tone.

I am convinced that text messaging is going to be the death of modern day relationships! I am calling for a boycott of text messaging for all women who are living Life in the Dating Lane. I must admit, I started off playing into the text messaging game while in the Dating Lane. I soon realized that text messaging gets abused in the worst way! I have been in the presence of men, who hold an entire conversation with one female, while on a date or chilling with another woman. I have experienced men who suddenly obtain the courage to say things via text that they would generally not say to a woman's face. And we aren't gonna begin to talk about the picture mail abuse. You know what I'm talking about- those d*** and cooch pics. I call them glamour shots.

I am sooooo not feeling this new technology as it relates to dating. It allows men (and some women, as well) the freedom to be deceptive and lie by omission. It allows men (and some women, as well) to be philanderers on a whole 'notha level! Text messaging creates dishonesty and messages via text can also be misinterpreted.

I understand that we all live busy lives. However, I also understand that people make time for what they feel is important. So I am quick to shoot down the fact that people can ONLY communicate via text because they are sooooo busy!

I mean, anything is okay within MODERATION, correct? I don't mind occasional texts from my gentlemen callers, especially those of the "thinking of you" nature. But I am not okay with text being the sole method of communication, with a phone call for clarification thrown in every now and again.

Let's go beyond the fact that texting allows men (and some women) to be dishonest, and take it a step further. Sending text messages as well as emails, can be anti-personal. Even beyond the anti-personal aspect, tones can not be determined via text. Voice inflictions can not be categorized via text. The sender's message is left for the receiver to interpret. Sometimes that very message can be misconstrued. Any way ya look at it, dating via text is just unacceptable.

Ladies, please join with me in the nationwide boycott of text messaging! When meeting a guy, immediately set the precedence that texting is NOT acceptable. Make it clear to your gentleman callers, that your sole method of communication will not be 160 characters or less. Let him know, that if he wants to speak to you, set up a dinner date, or meet you for drinks, that he must CALL you to do so. Texting is ONLY acceptable occasionally to say Hi, let you know that he is running late, or to tell you that he is thinking of you. This boycott is effective immediately and will last indefinitely. We can take back integrity in the Dating Lane one phone call at a time!

XoXo,
C'est Chic

4 comments:

CHARMED said...

AMEN!!!! It's quite sad how the computer age has taken over our lives and relationships. I feel as if everyone I communicate with is via email, text or networking site. It's so sad. What ever happened to a simple phone call...let alone a letter in the mail or a card. I get so excited to receive personal mail these days. Anyways...I'm with you on this boycott. You want to get with me, you gotta pick up the p.h.o.n.e.!!!!

Anonymous said...

I concur! As a longterm crackberry addict I have run the gamut from two way pagers, regular pagers [ remember those calls from dudes talking about did somebody page me? If not you are not as young as me] I am guilty of texting because I have enjoyed the comforts of hiding behind technology but I am really starting to feel the sting! And I am joining the boycott!

Anonymous said...

Yes girl...you know how I feel about this texting nonsense...holding entire convos and arguements via text...RME. I'm too old to be going back and forth typing out a convo that should last 2 mins! Boycott effective immediately!

CEST_CHIC said...

@ Aunt Jackie: Do I remember?? I used to HATE that!!! LOL! I too am a crackberry addict, but there must be a line drawn. These dudes are getting wayyyy to comfortable and are going too far.

@Charmed and Chee: Spread the word! Boycott!!!!!