Going Dutch.

Does this term even still exist? Do people still go out on dutch dates with members of the opposite sex? I have never been approached by a guy who even suggested going dutch on a date. If I had, I would probably laugh in his face and then dismiss him politely.

"I ain't sayin' I'm a gold-digger, but I ain't messin' with a broke....."

I am well aware that going dutch doesn't necessarily mean that a man is broke. But to me, it constitutes his @ss being cheap as hell and shows that he isn't a Gentleman. I expect a lot out of my Gentleman Callers (all readers of The Glass Menagerie please stand up). And one of those things I expect is for his @ss to pay for the first few dates.

I am not the chick who believes that the financial responsibility of dating is solely the male's responsibility. I have been known to treat a guy a time or two if he has been good to me. I have a job and make a decent living, I can afford to do so. But first, he must show me a good time. He must prove to me that he isn't trippin' over spending a couple of dollars on a meal and some drinks. Shoot. He has to eat too. That's the least he could do. That brings me to share with you an experience I've had recently.



Here's the story: A girlfriend of mine (T) invited me and another one of our girlfriends (K) to meet her and her guy friends at a sports bar to watch the game. We accepted the invite since we didn't have anything else on our agenda, and proceeded to the spot to meet T and the fellas. To shorten a lengthy story, T was there with about (5) guys all of whom she knew but we didn't. They had already started eating (wings and fries) and had a few beers on the table. K and I were starving so we proceeded to order our own food since it didn't seem like they were willing to share.

The guys were pretty cool and things were going well.....until the check came. There were no separate checks, so the server put all of our orders on the same bill. Keep in mind, K and I came after they had already started eating and drinking, so we ordered food for the two of us to share and a couple of drinks. We didn't expect the guys to pay for our meal; after all we didn't even know them. But we never guessed that what happened would have happened.
Do you know that these fools started itemizing the bill! But wait, here is the kicker! They weren't even doing it correctly! They were going back and forth with each other about how much they were gonna give according to how much they ate. YES! Grown men itemizing chicken wings! One said he only ate two wings and drank one beer so he felt he should only have to give $10.00 and another one was like "I'm only giving $20.00 and I didn't even eat $20.00 of food", and then there was one who said he only had a water and that was free so he didn't owe anything...
K and I were stomped. We sat there in awe looking at each other like WTF?! Meanwhile T is acting like she is oblivious to what is going on, so it was my assumption that this was their common practice when bill time came. Never once did she come out of her pocket for a dime, but she didn't eat either- guess she just had a water too.

Before we arrived at the Sports Bar, K. and I stopped at the ATM to get some cash just in case we had to pay for our own food and drinks. Good thing we did. Even though she and I split an order of wings and fries and had our bill would've been about $30.00 total ($15.00 each), we each contributed $25.00. I refused to put up anything more, which was unfortunate, because the cheap @ss dudes we were with were still bickering over the check. That was our cue to go. K and I have such a vibe that neither one of us had to speak a word- we both picked up our handbags and headed for the door. I feel so sorry for that server because I doubt if she even got a tip. I was preturbed because the food was not that hot for us to spend $50.00 on. I would have rathered going somewhere I enjoyed as oppose to spending my money there.

Later that eve T called to tell me that her homeboys wanted to know why we left so early and didn't come with them to the after spot. I refrained from telling her the truth. I didn't know how to tell her nicely that her friends were cheap @sses that I don't choose to hang out with. She also made the mistake of asking me if it was OK for me to give one of the el cheapo's my phone number because he was interested in me. Was she really serious? Was HE really serious? Did he actually think he made a good first impression? HA HA HA HA HA! I told her to tell him that I don't date grown men that wear jerseys, and just left it at that. Really I don't. But even more than that....

"I ain't sayin I'm a gold-digger, but I ain't messin with no CHEAP......"
XoXo,
C.C.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

First things first, where in the hell did ya'll go that ya'll had to pay 50 dollars for some wings? must've been golden, huh?
secondly, i like how you handle things, "...don't date grown men who wear jerseys."...that was hilarious.